Wednesday 1 August 2012

Across the river there is cake!!!

The last day of Kuching, I went across the river to buy Kek Lapis ( Layer Cake) which Sarawak is famous for.The past few days I'd observed the locals walking home with bulky packages of cakes, I think to stock up for the Aidil Fitri at the end of Ramadan.

Early morning while waiting for the bus to Bako


To the end of the waterfront some cool crocodiles!


A curious building, the road opposite has the memorial of the White Rajah




Look for this building, My Khatulistiwa( Equator) , it's where you get the sampan to cross to the Malay kampungs


It is definately one of the must dos to try when in Kuching, so I took the sampan across (50 cent ride) and along the way met with a few other adventurous travellers,a mother and her son and an Italian teacher. There we proceeded to try as many samples as we possibly could from 3 bakeries.


Cheese, oreo, no make it watermelon...or mint?! help :(


The first one we stop at was closest to the food court but not one of the best . The second bakery, Mira,which my hostel informed me was worth buying,are famous for their "Moist Layer Cake" (Kek Lapis Basah).They had a promotion of buy 3 free 1 but I didn't buy any yet at this point as my companion was told Dayang Salleh was the best place to buy from. Dayang Salleh has a small sign and is hidden among the houses just a little ahead of the Mira bakery.


Baking ladies 



Bet you can't stop at one!
A smosgarboard of choices inside had me all overwhelmed and bursting with cake, needless to say I didn't have dinner that night but although they were slightly more expensive than the other bakeries, they are most definately a good buy. In the end I went home with 2 big cakes.
RM 20 for the large, Rm10 for the small (but the large is 4x the small). If you buy RM100 worth of cakes you get a free RM10 cake( or maybe RM20, I forgot! :|)








Note: All cake related pictures above are from the first bakery, I started eating a lot of cake samples along the way and forgot to take pictures,plus I had greasy fingers :D

After my friends had bought their cakes, we left our packages at the foodcourt with the mother to check out Fort Margherita. The trail starts in the village where the first bakery was but we stopped to ask locals the way as the signage isn't very clear. It was closed when we arrived but isn't a big compound so there wasn't much we could do except to enjoy the exercise haha.

A hike to Fort Margherita - we needed the exercise for all the cake samples we ate

No comments: